[Asterisk-Users] some questions...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Feb 19 08:00:04 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-19 at 05:55, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 23:39, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> > > What about that USB device that is included with the "developer's kit"
> > > There is no on-line information.  I assume it is a USB/FXO?
> > > USB would be a good way to go on an end user's desk
> >
> > The usb device is FXS, and unless you are running linux desktops, then
> > it wouldn't be a good option. Mark is still working on getting them
> > stable too which is why they aren't discussed on the web site I'm sure.
>
> what's an FXS? I tried to google for it, but it didn't teach me much ...

FXS is a station port. It provides battery(power) to the line for any
devices hanging off of it.

FXO is a device port. It is the device on a line that already has
battery(power).

The port on the back of your telephone is a FXO port. The jack on the
wall could be considered your end of the FXS port. FXS ports connect to
FXO ports. You can only have 1 FXS port per line, but you can have
multiple FXO ports on a line.