[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk left in a bad state

Fettahlioglu, Mahmut Mahmut.Fettahlioglu at oa.com.au
Tue Feb 18 00:11:18 MST 2003

Hi all,

I'm using asterisk in a production environment now and this afternoon I got
reports complaining that it was not working. Looking at the asterisk console
output, I saw it contains lots of error messages as printed below.

Unfortunately it is not obvious from the logs as to what started all this.
Just before the error messages start, everything seems to be working fine
with no problems. It seems that whatever was the reason, the system was not
able to recover once it happened. Thus it could not process any other calls.
IMHO it seems to be a far better alternative _for production systems_ to
exit and restart asterisk once such errors start to happen, rather than
continuing in this bad state. I'm planning to modify asterisk as such and
will submit patches. Printing some useful information for debug purposes
before exiting would be useful here.

Also to make debugging easier, I'm planning to write all console output to
the debug file as well, with timestamps. This way we'll have a single file
with timestamped entries.

Before starting, I wanted to get your feedback on all this. Also, if anyone
has experienced similar errors and or if there are more such fatal errors
that are better handled by restarting rather than continuing, I'd like to
restart the process for such errors as well. I'd also welcome suggestions
for which debug information to be printed out before bailing out.

The error messages were as follows (repeated hundreds of times):
WARNING[1065674]: File pbx.c, Line 3152 (ast_pbx_outgoing_exten): Failed to
start async wait

WARNING[12301]: File pbx.c, Line 1262 (ast_pbx_start): Failed to create new
channel thread
WARNING[12301]: File chan_sip.c, Line 3011 (handle_request): Failed to start
PBX :(

WARNING[11276]: File pbx.c, Line 1262 (ast_pbx_start): Failed to create new
channel thread
WARNING[11276]: File chan_iax.c, Line 1941 (ast_iax_new): Unable to start
PBX on IAX[112511 at 112511]/24812
chan_iax.c line 1672 (iax_hangup): Error obtaining mutex: Device or resource
busy
chan_iax.c line 1672 (iax_hangup): Error waiting for mutex: Resource
deadlock avoided
   -- Hungup 'IAX[112511 at 112511]/24812'
chan_iax.c line 1066 (iax_destroy_nolock): Error releasing mutex: Operation
not permitted

Regards,

Mahmut

---------------------
Mahmut Fettahlioglu
Software Architect

Open Access Pty Ltd
PO Box 301
Crows Nest NSW 1585

Phone		02 9978 7009
Fax		02 9978 7099
Email		<mahmut.fettahlioglu at oa.com.au>
This email is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
named above and may contain information that is confidential and
privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify us immediately by return email or telephone
02 9978 7009 and destroy the original message.