[Asterisk-Users] Motorola to use Linux

jharragi at mw.k12.ny.us jharragi at mw.k12.ny.us
Mon Feb 17 22:41:37 MST 2003

Brett,

My post was more to explore people's ideas about if and how this could be
meaningful to Asterisk (rather than having an immediate need to deploy
such a system).

> Motorola is pushing Java heavily on their phones, so gnophone on the
> cell phone seems very unlikely. Most likely the foot print would have to
> be smaller to begin with.

I don't imagine Java code is very lean. And perhaps I shouldn't have said
gnophone because of course if you have dedicated buttons to map to
functions... you don't need a GUI. Without that you have much more compact
code. But gnophone has much of the functionality you would need.

> But, why would you want to do VoIP over a cellular network, when you
> already have voice?

I would expect that digital cellphones could use VoIP or something similar
(a voice codec on a network transport protocol). Why would there be much
difference between establishing a channel to a SIP client on IP over a
hardware network vs. the air? In fact you can make some assumptions in the
cellular case that make that technically simpler. For instance the packets
will arrive at the phone (if they arrive) in the order they were
transmitted.

> "To serve phones" I take to mean to be an RF interface to the phone. You
> really don't want to go there, since a base station alone costs a lot of
> money (then add all of the switching, data, network elements).

This is one of the questions I want to understand.

John

This message was sent using Monroe-Woodbury's WebMail.
http://webmail.mw.k12.ny.us/

This e-mail was scanned and found clean by Monroe-Woodbury CSD Antivirus.