@sterisk also works....Re: [Asterisk-Users] First Test Message for new Mail Server

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Fri Feb 14 08:51:09 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 09:29, Steve Kann wrote:
> I think that asterisk-users and asterisk-developers would make sense to
> people used to these conventions.
>
> But if you're going to eschew convention, go all the way, and make sure
> you call the developers' list astmasters at digium.com.

I guess that depends on what you consider a developer, or what the term
astmaster refers to. I think I remember the first time I heard the term
astmaster, it was used as a parrallel to webmaster. So I would consider
a astmaster to be just a person who watches over a system and keeps the
configs straight. Most webmasters do not contribute to the code base,
nor feature list of the server they run. Most of the ones I've been in
contact with(very small subset of the webmaster population) wouldn't
even want to be part of a mailing list that discussed much of the inner
workings of the server they run. They tend to be a grade above end user
in this sense.

I also tend to think of developers as those who are interested in the
inner workings of the system, and may or may not contribute code.
Granted almost every person who qualifies for the term astmaster right
now is probably a developer in some way, it probably won't be that way
soon.