[Asterisk-Users] New to asterisk? RUN... don't walk.

Tony Kava asterisk at pottcounty.com
Wed Dec 31 14:09:39 MST 2003

> >  With a community so 'anti-n00b', don't expect your
> > problems to be fixed anytime soon.
> >
> > RUN!!! Don't walk... away from Aterisk.
> There are many people on this list that are more than happy
> to help you with a problem if you know how to ask the
> question.  But if you've tried to keep up with this mailing
> list over any amount of time, you will see how quickly it
> becomes frustrating when people ask the same questions over
> and over again.  Hence being pointed to the how-to's and the
> wiki.  Do they answer every question?  No.  But they cover
> the most frequently asked.

I agree.  Lately there have been some harsh responses to common questions.
'Tis the season, as they say.  I've personally been able to do everything I
wanted to do at home with Asterisk, and I've never once encountered a
segmentation fault or any real crash.  I have not found Asterisk to be
riddled with bugs, and I've seen that the project continues to improve
rapidly.

Initially I found everything I needed to setup a home Asterisk system by
Google searches, and reading the documentation that is available.  I must
state that when you decide to experiment with a project that is somewhat
bleeding edge you should expect to a lot of research on your own, and you
should start out with a decent amount of patience.

That being said, I must admit that the Asterisk-Users mailing list has been
very helpful and responsive to a couple of questions I have asked in the
past.  I am no Asterisk guru, but I believe I have a good handle on things,
and I learn more everyday by following this list.  If people make a
reasonable effort to find the easy answers and provide ample details when
asking the not-so-trivial questions then they will find this list, and the
greater Asterisk users community, is not such a terrible place after all.

--
Tony Kava
Network Administrator