[Asterisk-Users] New to asterisk? RUN... don't walk.

Brian West brian at bkw.org
Wed Dec 31 13:56:07 MST 2003

> As a newcomer to Asterisk, you will not be welcomed
> with open arms.  First, you will find almost no
> documentation on it's features.  Second, if you try to
> ask questions, you will be flamed and pointed to
> worthless how-tos and 'the wiki'.  These worthless
> documents can only be useful for explaining how things
> work to those already in-the-know.  Lastly, Asterisk
> is so bug ridden, expect frequent segmentation faults.
>  With a community so 'anti-n00b', don't expect your
> problems to be fixed anytime soon.
>
> RUN!!! Don't walk... away from Aterisk.

No we aren't "anti-n00b"... Have you tried the IRC channel?  Its usually
more helpful for the newcomers.  I have personally helped many people get
started with examples and other such things.  As far as asterisk
segfaulting you might have hardware problems... I recommend you join the
IRC channel and ask some questions.  But you also have to be prepaired to
read a little because we can't hold your hand thru it all just like with
any other open source software solution out there.  Asterisk is fairly
easy to understand once you see how it all fits together.

bkw