[Asterisk-Users] Current database abstraction effort ?

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Wed Dec 31 08:47:26 MST 2003

Dear all,

I read across Asterisk's lists archives, and found out various
discussions about how nice it would be to have a (SQL) database
abstraction layer enabling the use of various SQL backends, for
various purposes inside of Asterisk.

As far as I see, there is no such thing yet, although there are
various efforts (on CDR and voicemail, mostly) to use external
databases.

As I'm planning some work that will require external database support
(in order to be fully dynamic and potentially shared by different
Asterisk servers), I have to solve this issue first.

It's definetly not a major issue, but before starting to work on it
I'd like to know what the community has to say about it.

I found a few references to the way the FreeRadius people did it, and
I would probably make something similar, although there a a few things
in their design that I would make otherwise.

Finally, Asterisk uses the db1 library to store some local dynamic
data. The db.h interface could be kept as-is and optionnally work with
this new database backend for tasks that do not require full SQL
syntax (although a there shall be a way to specify if the caller is
expecting its data to be local or shared amongst servers).

--
Nicolas Bougues
Axialys Interactive