[Asterisk-Users] * crash when forward voicemail message [problem solved]

JR Richardson jr.richardson at cox.net
Tue Dec 30 16:07:16 MST 2003

Thanks for all your help Martin,

Guys,

This is a good find and hopefully could help someone else.

I've been having a problem with forwarding voicemail from one mailbox to
another.  I ran down the sendmail and soundcard path and came up goose eggs.
With intuitive guidance from Martin Pycko (Digium), I switched from Redhat 9
Kernel linux-2.4.20-8 to Redhat 8 Kernel linux-2.4.18-14 and it seemed to
solve the problem I was having.  There is still a little weirdness going on
but the voicemail forward command is working.  During a -vvvvdgc session, I
get:
Urgent handler
    -- Playing '/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/vm-received' (language 'en')
Urgent handler
    -- Playing '/var/lib/asterisk/sounds/digits/at' (language 'en')
Urgent handler
    -- Playing 'vm-extension' (language 'en')
Urgent handler
    -- Playing 'vm-forwardoptions' (language 'en')
Urgent handler
Huh?  Child handler, but nobody there?
Huh?  Child handler, but nobody there?
Huh?  Child handler, but nobody there?
Huh?  Child handler, but nobody there?
Huh?  Child handler, but nobody there?
Huh?  Child handler, but nobody there?
    -- Playing 'vm-message' (language 'en')
Urgent handler
    -- Playing 'vm-saved' (language 'en')

I'm not sure what the Child handler is or what it does or the effect it has
on this kernel and the newer kernel but all seems to work of without failing
as before with the newer kernel.

In the trouble shooting process I upgraded my kernel to the newest Redhat
release linux-20.4.20-27.9 but that had the same effect when forwarding
voicemail, * shut down.

If anyone can shed some light on this, maybe try forwarding voicemail on a
newer kernel and let me know your success or not.  Or maybe help me to
understand what differences in kernels would have on Child Handlers?

As it stands, I plan on using the older kernel for my implementations for
now.

Hope this helps.

JR