[Asterisk-Users] CVS Closed?

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Tue Dec 30 13:05:06 MST 2003

Carl A. Cook wrote:

>Thanks, to the two.
>
>But I can't tell you how weary and sick I am of this kind of reflexive
>criticism.  It is -always- counter to true advancement, and burns those
>delicate few who actually cause progress, in addition to (pitiable) n00bs.
>
>I run a small new architecture company, and am a vocal open standards
>advocate.  I'm an academic, a free-thinker, and researcher, and the thought
>of investing the large amount of effort and time required to learn a new
>thing in detail isn't a problem;  but if it's necessary to join another
>bummed-out Thunderdome, where countless bloody-minded fukkers are sitting in
>the bushes waiting to mean-spiritedly bite my ass off whenever I ask a stupid

One thing that is very hard for people new to the Open Source
development world is the idea that the people on the mailing list (or
IRC channel) don't have to be nice to you.  This is not Dell; we're not
your wet blanket of support -- we don't get paid to be. (If you want
that kind of thing, email me off list, I run a consulting company where
we'll do that for you if you give us money :-) ) You're just not used to
getting reproached by tech support.  Accept that you asked a stupid
question and got called on it.  It's not like we're going to hold it
against you (unless, of course, you become a compulsive
dumb-question-asker).

That said, I've noticed that most of the people on this list are usually
very helpful if you do your part in the whole ask-questions-get-answers
scheme.  Go read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html and
then, hopefully, you'll feel better about what happened now.

>question or have a 'different' idea, I can't spare the resources.

I don't think you'll have trouble with different ideas: people here are
open to change.  If you lurk around a bit, you'll see that this is a
very open community.

[Deeper meaning of existance snipped]

>That said, I'm trying very hard to swallow this hairball, and investigate
>asterisk.

So basically, you did something dumb: build a bridge and get over it.
 Go read the documentation: there's a book at
http://www.asteriskdocs.org and a handbook, along with a wiki at
voip-info.org and lots of good web pages.  When you coalesce the
information they contain, you'll find that they have the answers to most
of your questions.

Nick

P.S. Don't forget to read
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.