[Asterisk-Users] fedora core 1 install problem

David Luyens d at vt4.net
Tue Dec 30 08:47:53 MST 2003

Thanks!

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com
[mailto:asterisk-users-admin at lists.digium.com] Namens Justin Sinclair
Verzonden: dinsdag 30 december 2003 2:33
Aan: asterisk-users at lists.digium.com
Onderwerp: [Asterisk-Users] fedora core 1 install problem

>From: "David Luyens" <d at vt4.net>
>To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] fedora core 1  install problem
>Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:20:55 +0100
>
>Hi Ernest,
>
>I have installed as you described, and now it worked.
>Seems that installing a minimum system and afterwards installing the
necesary packages with their dependencies seems to not have worked for
me....

>Thanks for the help all...
>
>David

It actually is possible to get Asterisk running on a Fedora Core 1
minimal installation, installing the necessary packages afterwards. I
also had the original problem you had, but figured out how to fix it.
Here are the steps I took to do so (this is not a recommendation of how
to do it, just how I did it):

1. Install Fedora Core 1 (minimal install)

2. To make installation of additional packages super-easy, I install
yum:
	#wget
http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/yum/yum-2.0.4-2.fd
.fr.i386.rpm
	#rpm -U yum-2.0.4-2.fd.fr.i386.rpm

3. [Optional] Run a yum update to get latest version of installed
packages (good idea to reboot after this, especially if you get a new
kernel):
	#yum update

4. Install required packages using yum (other required packages are
already installed as part of minimal install):
	#yum install cvs gcc kernel-source libtermcap-devel newt-devel
ncurses-devel openssl-devel readline-devel

5. Now here's the trick. Download and install this older version of
Bison (the newer version causes the compile errors):
	wget
ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/bison-1.35-6.i38
6.rpm
	rpm -U bison-1.35-6.i386.rpm

6. Your Fedora Core 1 installation is now ready for Asterisk. Download,
compile, and install as normal.

I hope this proves useful to others who prefer a bare minimal install,
and want to use the excellent Fedora.

-Justin