[Asterisk-Users] fedora core 1 install problem

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Dec 30 00:56:42 MST 2003

Justin Sinclair wrote:

>>From: "David Luyens" <d at vt4.net>
>>To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
>>Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] fedora core 1  install problem
>>Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 14:20:55 +0100
>>
>>Hi Ernest,
>>
>>I have installed as you described, and now it worked.
>>Seems that installing a minimum system and afterwards installing the
>>

>necesary packages with their dependencies seems to not have worked for
>me....
>

>>Thanks for the help all...
>>
>>David
>>

>It actually is possible to get Asterisk running on a Fedora Core 1
>minimal installation, installing the necessary packages afterwards. I
>also had the original problem you had, but figured out how to fix it.
>Here are the steps I took to do so (this is not a recommendation of how
>to do it, just how I did it):
>
>1. Install Fedora Core 1 (minimal install)
>
>2. To make installation of additional packages super-easy, I install
>yum:
>	#wget
>http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/fedora/linux/1/yum/yum-2.0.4-2.fd
>.fr.i386.rpm
>	#rpm -U yum-2.0.4-2.fd.fr.i386.rpm
>
>3. [Optional] Run a yum update to get latest version of installed
>packages (good idea to reboot after this, especially if you get a new
>kernel):
>	#yum update
>
>4. Install required packages using yum (other required packages are
>already installed as part of minimal install):
>	#yum install cvs gcc kernel-source libtermcap-devel newt-devel
>ncurses-devel openssl-devel readline-devel
>
>5. Now here's the trick. Download and install this older version of
>Bison (the newer version causes the compile errors):
>	wget
>ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/9/en/os/i386/RedHat/RPMS/bison-1.35-6.i38
>6.rpm
>	rpm -U bison-1.35-6.i386.rpm
>
>6. Your Fedora Core 1 installation is now ready for Asterisk. Download,
>compile, and install as normal.
>
>I hope this proves useful to others who prefer a bare minimal install,
>and want to use the excellent Fedora.
>
>-Justin

Cool Justin, I was going to attempt an install on Fedora in the next
little while..

Has anyone created a bug report about the errors when using the new
version of bison??

While your work around is fine it does add one more thing to worry about
when installing package updates.. If bison is updated by YUM or APT then
Asterisk will have issues..

Later..