[Asterisk-Users] bandwidth requirement

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Dec 29 16:20:38 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 16:40, SW wrote:
> Thanks Steven
> This colo deal seems good, 59 bucks per month, bustable up to 100 meg and 20
> Gig monthly bandwidth. They say it's tier 1, I do not know about that.
> Currently I have this network operational, from a SHDSl (SBC) from home and
> latency to my end point g/w is in 300 ms range. With the colo it is 100ms
> faster. BTW: with this delay I have excellent quality. Thing is moment I
> clog-up bandwidth quality goes down drastically.
>
> Anyone in SFO needs colo, can check this out
> http://www.coloserv.com/pricing.html .
>

>From what that page lists, I'd say they are Tier 1. They benefit from
the building hosting 2 telco companies switches. No wonder they have a
couple of fiber loops.

Where is your G/W, and why is it so distant time wise that a Tier 1 colo
is still 200ms away? From my DSL at the office to my rack is under 100ms
and usually under 70ms, and from my cable modem I get the same times.
Both of my routes go from Nashville, to Atlanta, then the DSL goes to
Kansas City where the cable goes to Dallas, then they both go to St.
Louis and then back to Nashville.

As for your original would x bandwidth serve you. Taking your
guestimations from before of 20k per phone segment * 2 segments for the
routing of the call, you get 40k per second for the call. 40k/8 to get
to bytes? 5kbytes. 20gig / 5kbytes = 4194304 seconds of call time, or
70k minutes with no registration traffic nor any ssh traffic. Plus
remember, you don't get to deduct any stupid cracker traffic off your
cap. I'd say your cap may be restrictive to what you want to do, not to
mention if you don't have a way to pay for the overage to recoup from
the next nimda worm that blindly attacks your network from all over, you
may end up with your server being unaccessible for the remainder of the
month.

More friendly advice, check into the requirements for that additional
10gb transfer. My company is currently eating a fee because our colo
will not drop a fee once initiated unless it is at contract renewal
time. So when we no longer needed a special point to point T1 in our
rack, they still charge us $150 a month for it till November of '04.

Also be aware of that remote hands fee. And while it isn't mentioned on
their page, verify your ability to access the machine at all times. One
of the colo facilities we toured had a 2 hour response time to let you
in to the colo facility after normal business hours and would charge us
a fee for it. This was unacceptable for us. It was better for us to go
with a slightly more expensive provider that gave us flexibility, plus
free remote hands, and 24x7 access to our hardware for no additional
costs.