[Asterisk-Users] Virtual PC -- Asterisk ?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Dec 29 13:54:08 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 14:35, Hector Q.-datafull wrote:
> Good Virtualization software only takes more CPU cycles.
> If you have enough CPU power, you dont have anything to worry about.
> The only concern is that you are limited to use only IP features of asterisk,
> you can not install and use a zapata card, or any other voice card, since
> For the rest, I have a couple of systems working just fine with¨* and GSM.
> And I would recommend to use an ESX server instead of VirtualPC.

Ahh, but the question is worded such that the virtualization is running
on windows. Therefore you have a lot of display overhead due to a
windows environment. You also are just an application running in an OS,
so you have to convince the OS to give you appropriate resources. So
while the application isn't necessarily too inefficient, you are already
running in an OS that can starve your emulator, and then you have
another OS that can starve asterisk from running at the required speed.

Again, it is possible, just not recommended no matter what the
underlying hardware is. Give asterisk at least a chance of working
properly on its own before you handicap it. As the learning curve is
enough already, don't augment it by adding artificial barriers.