[Asterisk-Users] bandwidth requirement

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Mon Dec 29 12:50:24 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 12:54, SW wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> have a question, on bandwidth.
>
> I want to run an asterisk server SIP to H323, g729. Calls arrive on sip/iax
> go to IVR get authenticated and egress through h323. So G729 license is only
> used during IVR and then it is pass through.
>
> I am collocating this server. Colo offer a monthly bandwidth quota. Lets say
> I want to do 100K minutes per month of VoIP calling at the beginning. What
> would be the bandwidth usage per month ?
>
> I calculate this way, G.729 call is about 20K, but since call arrive on SIP
> and leave through h323 there are sessions with SIP server as well as H323
> g/w. So a call is actually 40K. Since colo calculate bw in both upstream and
> downstream, total b/w is 2 x 40k = 80k. So 100K minutes is 100k x 80k =
> 80,00,000 kbps/month = 8Gig/month.
>
> Would my line of thinking correct ?
>
> As always for experts on this list to comment.

I think I have seen it mentioned that the rtp stream can be redirected
between endpoints and the control data would be the only part you would
need to hold on to at your colo facility as it is changing between SIP
and H323. If so, your bandwidth is only for the IVR portion, and not
much for the actual call.

Just a thought, but maybe you should check out some other colo options.
There are many colo facilities that will let you do bandwidth capping
and no per month limits.

Our current deal with Inflow is 1.5meg cap no limits. This was a special
negotiation, their normal is 1 meg average with 5 meg burstable or 2 meg
average and 10 meg burstable. So if your traffic was mostly during
business hours in a few timezones, you could keep your average low
enough to stay under your averages.