[Asterisk-Users] RE: TDM Card loses Dialtone and Battery

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Dec 28 21:44:50 MST 2003

On Sunday 28 December 2003 21:53, Victor Rini wrote:
> I have a feeling we're getting somewhere.
>
> I ordered three cards the very day they went on sale through the
> digium website.
>
> Yes, it's revision C. I guess I'll talk to digium about this.

In case you're wondering, the problem is the amount of power the TDM
cards pull off the PCI bus.  When you have another device sucking power,
it can momentarily drop the power enough on the TDM card to reset it.
The molex connector allows the card to pull power directly from the
power supply instead of through the PCI bus, which of course solves that
problem.

I'm told the TDM Rev. C card is within the PCI spec for power drain, but
the stresses it puts on the PCI bus will show how many motherboards are
in fact close, but a little deficient  The sole reason the TDM card
requires so much power is to generate ring voltage for connected
telephones.

-Tilghman