[Asterisk-Users] fax detection: false positive

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Sun Dec 28 06:59:49 MST 2003

Reply reformatted to comply with international standards.

On Sunday 28 December 2003 02:10, Patrick Cantwell wrote:
> On Friday, December 26, 2003, Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> > On Friday 26 December 2003 13:42, john lawler wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I just moved from Asterisk release 0.5.0 to CVS 2003-12-22, and
> > > after overcoming a few changes in my configuration, I encountered
> > > one problem that I couldn't shake that was working fine in 0.5.0.
> > >
> > > It's the fax detection.  I just have a simple extension setup
> > > like this:
> > >
> > > exten => fax,1,Dial(Zap/4,30,tr)
> > > exten => fax,2,Hangup
> > >
> > > in my main incoming context.  This used to work fine, I don't
> > > think I ever had a false positive or negative, but now just about
> > > every call (possibly every call) that comes in when I've got that
> > > extension defined rolls to my fax machine on Zap/4 immediately.
> >
> > Uncomment OLD_DSP_ROUTINES near the top of dsp.c, recompile,
> > install, and restart.
> >
> > The newer DSP routines are used to fix a type of signalling on E&M
> > lines.
>
>     What happens if someone needs the new signalling routines *and*
> working fax detection?  I'm personally not in this boat, but it's
> only a matter of time before someone is.
> Is this a temporary fix?  If not, this should be documented somewhere
> as it seems to be a problem for enough people. (Olle? :)

It is a temporary fix until somebody who knows enough about DSP routines
can dig in and fix it.  There's only one person that I know of that can,
and it's not Mark.  I'm leaving his name out, so he doesn't get pestered
by people asking when.

-Tilghman