[Asterisk-Users] Sip phones on the same extension?

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Fri Dec 26 02:35:20 MST 2003

Tilghman Lesher wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 December 2003 13:06, Brian Buhrow wrote:
>
>>	Hello.  I'm a new Asterisk user, but I'm impressed with the
>>flexibility and versatility of Asterisk, and am moving quickly to
>>adopt it's main-line use in our company.  Hopefully, you'll be
>>hearing more from me as the project moves forward.
>>	Right now, though, I have a question about SIP peer registration.
>>Right now, for our SIP-based phone,s, we're using the Sip Express
>>Router product, which accepts sip registration requests and lets us
>>route calls to any of the phones which register with SER.  I am a
>>semi-nomatic user, and can work at any of three different
>>locations.  Right now, my phones all sign up with SER, and register
>>with the same telephone number.  When someone dials that number,
>>all three phones ring, and which ever one gets answered first, gets
>>the call.
>>	When I tried to do this with Asterisk, sources from the cvs
>>repository as of 12/18/2003, sip show peers only showed the most
>>recent registration. This lead me to believe that if I dialed the
>>number, only the most recently registered phone would ring.  I was
>>able to work around the problem by defining an umbrella extension
>>which rings all three phones at the same time, but I'd like to have
>>a way of dynamically adding phones to a given extension without
>>having to necessarily rewrite the extensions.conf file, and I'd
>>like calls from these extensions to show up from the master
>>extension that folks should use to reach me.  I imagine I could do
>>something with pickup groups, but my understanding  is that it is
>>not true that all phones in a pickup group will necessarily ring
>>just because they're a member of a given pickup group.  The phones
>>on this particular extension are many miles from each other, so one
>>couldn't hear the other phone ring.
>>	Another work around is to put
>>Asterisk behind SER, but this seems overly complicated, and I want
>>to make sure that Asterisk doesn't do what I want before I pursue
>>that path.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to have multiple phones register with the
>>same number in Asterisk?
>

> In sip.conf:
>
> [phone1]
> type=peer
> host=dynamic
>
> [phone2]
> type=peer
> host=dynamic
>
> [phone3]
> type=peer
> host=dynamic
>
> in extensions.conf:
>
> [default]
> exten => 0,1,Dial(SIP/phone1&SIP/phone2&SIP/phone3,30,T)

To explain further:
Asterisk can only handle one client per peer definition in sip.conf. Multiple registrations per
peer is not supported. Yet ;-)

SER support multiple destinations (a "destination set") per peer. SER is a SIP proxy, Asterisk
is a PBX where a USER may have multiple extensions. Each extension - peer/client - have only
one phone and the PBX dial plan takes care of dialling multiple destinations to reach a user,
or a queue or .... anything's possible!

/Olle