[Asterisk-Users] time to build an open phone?

Bob Knight bk at minusw.com
Wed Dec 24 12:30:09 MST 2003

Open software seems to work.
Why don't we try it with hardware.

1. pick an embedded processor.
    It should have a nice linux gui support (like x jtag debugger).

2. pick a linux based cad system we all have easy access to and place
    schematics under cvs.

3. pick some type of gpio or serial interface for keyboard/display.

4. pick some basic functionality.

5. code it up. A stripped down *.

Let everyone do their own thing with the expensive part.
Tooling/packaging.

We could let Digium be the distributor, so they are not left out of the
loop.
A board set would be offered with NO support.
If Digium wants no part of it, we just build them on our own for our own use
or sell them on ebay.

What we would provide is schematics and source code.
Everyone can take this to their favorite fab house and crank em out.

--
Bob Knight
[-w] the work option
bk at minusw.com