[Asterisk-Users] Sip phones on the same extension?

Brian Buhrow buhrow at lothlorien.nfbcal.org
Wed Dec 24 12:06:04 MST 2003

	Hello.  I'm a new Asterisk user, but I'm impressed with the
flexibility and versatility of Asterisk, and am moving quickly to adopt
it's main-line use in our company.  Hopefully, you'll be hearing more from
me as the project moves forward.
	Right now, though, I have a question about SIP peer registration.
Right now, for our SIP-based phone,s, we're using the Sip Express Router
product, which accepts sip registration requests and lets us route calls to
any of the phones which register with SER.  I am a semi-nomatic user, and
can work at any of three different locations.  Right now, my phones all
sign up with SER, and register with the same telephone number.  When
someone dials that number, all three phones ring, and which ever one gets
answered first, gets the call.
	When I tried to do this with Asterisk, sources from the cvs repository
as of 12/18/2003, sip show peers only showed the most recent registration.
This lead me to believe that if I dialed the number, only the most recently
registered phone would ring.  I was able to work around the problem by
defining an umbrella extension which rings all three phones at the same
time, but I'd like to have a way of dynamically adding phones to a given
extension without having to necessarily rewrite the extensions.conf file,
and I'd like calls from these extensions to show up from the master
extension that folks should use to reach me.  I imagine I could do
something with pickup groups, but my understanding  is that it is not true
that all phones in a pickup group will necessarily ring just because
they're a member of a given pickup group.  The phones on this particular
extension are many miles from each other, so one couldn't hear the other
phone ring.
	Another work around is to put
Asterisk behind SER, but this seems overly complicated, and I want to make
sure that Asterisk doesn't do what I want before I pursue that path.

Any suggestions on how to have multiple phones register with the same
number in Asterisk?
-Brian