[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7960 Sounds patchy.

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Tue Dec 23 18:51:04 MST 2003

> I have gotten the Cisco 7960 working with my Asterisk system under SIP.
> The version is 5.03 that I am using.  Cisco Support said I should not
> upgrade to version 6 yet. My next question is the sound is patchy when
> people here me.  But I can hear them just fine not patchy.  I have the
> 188 page Admin manual and it seem not to say anything about improving
> the sound. All other phones like IPDialog work fine without the patchy
> sound.   I have tried ulaw and alaw as the codex.  Both sound the same!
> Is there any other settings that can be done.  I remember that the
> X-lite has a transmit silence but I could not find this setting in there
> documentation.

Patchy sound has absolutely nothing to do with the 7960 software. All
versions from 2.1 through 6.0 have been solid as a rock from a usability
standpoint. If you have patchy sound, look towards improper configuration
of the phone vs asterisk definitions.

In my (somewhat biased) opinion, the 7960 is "the" top of the line once
you understand sip/rtp basics and provide the network infrastructure
to support the basics. (It's also the most expensive even for refurb
7960's. Your milage may vary.)

I avoided the Cisco v5 code for some time due to the back-level warnings
published by Cisco. However, I upgraded to v6.0 code and would recommend
it at a heart beat. It's been absolutely solid, stable, and they finally
added some rather useful "user" features.

Rich