[Asterisk-Users] PBX Functionality How-to

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 23 10:27:11 MST 2003

One thing Centrex is that Asterisk is not is a turn key
system.  With Asterisk you have to either build the PBX your
self or pay someone to build yu one.  With Centrex you
simply write a check.

THat said, you can build  anything you want so of cource the
feature list can match.

The best way to learn what it can do is to build a small PBX
with just a couple extensions.  Try to build in all the
funtionality you need in your larger system.

If you get into trouble you may want to ask __specific__ questions
like "I want to make XXX work, I triedd XXX and YYY but I still
have this problem it it?   You may have to post 50 questions
like that one at a time.  But you will get answers.  Asterisk has
a learning curve.  expect it to take a few weeks of study

But the bottom line is that Asterisk will do quite a bit more
than Centrex.  I don't think Centrex does VOIP at all

--- "Christopher J. Wolff" <chris at bblabs.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I had a partner of mine present a Centrex 21 brochure and ask how
> many of
> those features can I fulfill.  There is nothing out of the ordinary,
> it's
> stuff like call hold, call forward, 3-way calling, etc.  Has anyone
> assembled a how-to that shows how to configure PBX or Centrex type
> functionality?  I found one in the voip-info wiki but only a couple
> of
> topics were filled out.
>
> Regards,
> Christopher J. Wolff, VP CIO