[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk SIP Packet Time (20ms)

Andres andres at telesip.net
Tue Dec 23 10:00:29 MST 2003

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 10:59, Rich Adamson wrote:
> I'm not sure under what circumstances (from an overall performance
> perspective) 20ms is better then 60ms, or the reverse. Gut feeling would
In our network we set UAs to use 60ms (using G729).  Actual data measurements
indicate a call consumes about 13Kbps.  If we use 20ms then it consumes about
25Kbps.  These are of course peer-peer calls since Asterisk itself does not
support transmitting at 60ms.  We prefer 60ms due to the fact that some of
our customers are using dial-up for their VoIP, and bigger delays are
preferable to dopped packets.

Andres.