[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7914 Expansion Unit (for 7960G IP Phone) & Help With 7960's Speed-dials

Adthrawn adthrawn at adthrawn.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Dec 23 05:30:32 MST 2003

Hi,

Has anybody been successful in running the 7914 expansion unit for the
Cisco 7960G IP phone? For anybody unaware of what the expansion unit
does, it provides 14 additional buttons, with an LCD display. The idea,
is that with an expansion unit (a 7960 can take upto 2 of these units),
a user can either assign more speed-dial's, or can monitor line
status/account status. So, you can either register a speed-dial or
register another account.

The problem I've found so far, is that speed-dials are not programmed
on the phone, but are instead handled by the Call Manager software (not
on a user basis, but on a phone, MAC address basis). Likewise, plugging
the 7914 unit into the phone on an Asterisk PBX, just brings up 14 red
lights (the buttons also light-up red, blue or green), which according
to the hidden technical documentation, indicates that the Call Manager
is not registering the unit. I can't work out if it's short of firmware
embedded in the Call Manager, whether it's searching for a
configuration file on the TFTP (Cisco phones need a TFTP to get their
settings and SIP firmware), whether it's not happy with the phone being
a SIP version, or whether I'm doing something wrong.

I've had to learn about the 7960's configuration the hard way, and
despite their useless technical documents, have managed to configure
most settings.

There's quite a bit of extra configuration for the 7960 I'd love to get
to, and would like help or advice on. Things like directory services,
screen logo, the 7914 and more!

If anybody is interested, I have resources and files to; convert from
Cisco Skinny/MGCP to a SIP version, how to configure the VoiceMail
indicator lamp, special key combinations to reset the unit (without
pulling the plug out) and locking/unlocking the preferences,
configuring the voicemail speed-dial

Any help or advice, please let me know!

Regards,
Ad.