[Asterisk-Users] Audio format for announcements

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Mon Dec 22 09:04:02 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Adams" <sadams at slimdevices.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 10:50 AM
Subject: [Asterisk-Users] Audio format for announcements

> Hi guys. First off, to the folks at Digium: outstanding work. The fact
> that Asterisk is open source puts you right at the cusp of what will be
> the most important telecom advance since the transatlantic cable.
>
> Anyway... a couple newbie questions concerning sound quality - I don't
> see any reason why the system should not use the best possible format
> for any given connection.
>
> 1) Is it possible to store the menu sounds in wav/aiff, and let
> asterisk compress them to gsm only as necessary? Eg for POTS lines, yes
> the lines are crap already, but why butcher the sound any further by
> running it through a speech codec?
>
> 2) For my internal SIP phones, I don't care about bandwidth usage. What
> settings will give the best sound quality?  Does the protocol (or for
> that matter, any particular brand of phones) support uncompressed or
> very high bit rate audio for intra-pbx calls?

Can't help with the first question, but ulaw/alaw ~= g711, which I think is
the biggest eater of bandwidth that I've heard of.

See: http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Codecs

-----
Andrew Thompson http://aktzero.com/
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions
stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.