[Asterisk-Users] ivr key press?

Joe Dennick joe at dennick.net
Sun Dec 21 00:27:25 MST 2003

Rich,
This plays into your current question and the previous one.  The 's' in
the dial plan basically applies to an inbound call that was answered by
*.  If I remember correctly, the 't' stands for any invalid entry or a
timeout waiting for DTMF digits, and I have no idea what the 'h' stands
for.  What you are doing below with Extension 620 will only come into
play IF extension 620 is dialed.  If you want your menu to apply for all
inbound callers, you need to use 's' as the extension as in the previous
example that I sent you.

The menu system is usually applied to Zap calls to the *.  The caller
(usually an outside caller) is greeted with your Auto-Attendant
greeting, and then a menu of choices like "dial 1 for support; dial 2
for sales; dial 0 for the operator, etc..."  Usually, if you want to
provide an option to dial a specific (known) extension, you would prompt
the caller to press a digit (9 for example) and then the extension;
otherwise, if your default extensions begin with '3', you would NOT use
the digit '3' as a menu option so that dialing an extension would
automatically be routed to that extension rather than the menu option
for '3'.  You might need to crank up the 'DigitTimeout' to a greater
value in order to receive all dialed digits for a specific extension.

Call me tomorrow (Sunday) and we can discuss this...

Joe