[Asterisk-Users] Level(3) SIP termination services

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Sat Dec 20 21:25:49 MST 2003

[crossposted to isp-clec and asterisk-users]

At 11:53 AM -0800 12/20/03, Darnell Gadberry wrote:
>John,
>
>I spoke with Level(3) last week regarding SIP termination.  They
>quoted $0.01/minute, with an 11 Million Minute / Month minimum.
>
>Ugh!
>
>-dg

>Darnell Gadberry
>President
>binaryMedia
>darnell AT binmedia DOT com
>------------

That's not such a great price at 11 million minutes, in my opinion.

Did you ask them if they would speak to Asterisk via SIP?   We have
on this list (asterisk-users) made some short lists of retail
providers of minutes (see archives,) but it would be interesting to
see what wholesale providers will warrant Asterisk use with their SIP
gateways as "acceptable".

Questions for y'all to ask when you start fishing:

   - do you need dedicated interconnect with the network of the
termination provider?  In our example of L3, do you need to buy a
fast ethernet of IP bandwidth from Level3, or will they take the
traffic across a peer or other transit customer's link (in other
words: the Internet.)

   - what codecs are supported?  Some providers insist on G.711, which
strikes me as underhanded at worst and significantly short-sighted,
at best.  If they support Asterisk (yay!) do they allow iLBC, GSM,
and Speex?

   - how are CDR's transmitted back to the customer?  Daily?  Live?
Monthly (agh!)?   Via the Internet, or on tape/cd?

   - are media streams restricted to a single (or very few) IP
addresses, or will they take media streams from "anywhere"?  Again,
many providers seem to want to break SIP's model of peer-to-peer
media transmission, even when it's possible, for various "business"
reasons.

   - are there any geographic considerations for sending traffic?  Are
there any area code/prefix sets which cost more?

  - are there any topological considerations for sending traffic?  If
traffic shifts between appearing on the East Coast, and then fails
over (as an example) to coming in through a West Cost network
perspective, does that change any SLAs or pricing?

  - if the provider offers multiple rates to North American
destinations, how often does that rate table update?  How is that
rate table provided?

  - in what format does the provider offer international rate updates?
How often?

  - does the provider offer private or public ENUM lookup for
destinations locally served, if they provide DID's to their larger
customer base?  what is the provider's plan for ENUM rollout once
NANP is fully ENUM capable?

As you speak with providers, so long as there is no NDA, please share
your experiences with the list.  The medium-sized call-centric shops
and call centers would benefit greatly from hearing the possible
competitive alternatives that might be connected to Asterisk systems.

This again brings up the topic of asterisk-biz mailing list, if there
is any traffic.  However, I doubt there will be much traffic since it
seems the people who do many minutes keep their mouths shut, at least
on this list.

JT