[Asterisk-Users] Re: Land line vs. VoIP provider.

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Fri Dec 19 20:41:12 MST 2003

It's certainly not _illegal_ in any way that I can think of, and I
expect that anything is better than no information at all.  Sounds
like a good idea.  The only shortcoming I can think of is the lack of
ability for the PSAP to hear the address more than once without
making an unacceptable delay in connecting the call if you read it
back a few times.

This is yet another reason for Asterisk to support some type of
in-band DTMF detection from within Dial and jumping using something
other than the !$)%)$&!%^ "pound" (#) key.

"This is an emergency call from 123 Main Street, Nowhere, Nebraska,
zip code 12345.  You will now be connected to the calling party.
Press the star key at any time to hear this address again."

The trick would be to have Dial jump out without hanging up, process
the possible dialed match string, run the extensions, play back the
message again, and jump back into Dial and re-link the legs of the
call.

Hmm...

[emergency]
exten => 911,1,Dial(Zap/g1/911,jA(read-the-address-file.wav))
exten => 911,2,Hangup

exten => *,1,Playback(read-the-address-file.wav)
exten => *,2,Goto(911,1)

New Dial Modifiers:
   'J' - Allow calling party to press a single digit to jump out of
Dial.  The called party hears music on hold (if selected) or silence.
If 'J' is specified and there was a previous incantation of a Dial
with "J", then the leg is simply reconnected to the holding caller
without re-dialing the channel.  If the digit specified is not in the
context, no action is taken.  Only one jump may be specified in a
string of Dials; latest jump wins, and previously Jumped Dials are
hung up on if more than one is nested.
   'j' - Same as "J", but allows called party to press a digit.

JT