[Asterisk-Users] Land line vs. VoIP provider.

Robert Mann asterisk at easyway.com
Thu Dec 18 17:29:09 MST 2003

Residential Long Distance.

One of my biggest pushes towards a VoIP provider was cheap long distance.  Now in the U.S. at least with SBC they now have a plan for Unlimited Long Distance.  The price is 30.00 a month if you do not have a couple of required features on the line already like Caller ID and a feature like 3 Way or Call Waiting etc. in which case that lowers the price to 20.00 a month.  Then to top that off I have two lines in my house and by allowing them to consolidate my phone lines in to one bill they were able to offer me the Unlimited Long Distance on both lines for a single 20.00 a month charge.  Now this is in the U.S. and with SBC that I know of but other companies will follow shortly if they have not already.  So my question now becomes is there any reason to use a VoIP provider for outgoing calls other then cheap long distance?  The other thing I was liking with some of the VoIP providers was the ability to have a incoming line from any major area so even if I live in CA I could have a NY number which is cool if you have people that call you from there or want some sort of phone spoofing (Not me of course :) ).

Other then these reasons can anyone see why you would want to use a VoIP provider?  I may have just saved my self some time and money choosing to use SBC now for my long distance at this one low rate.