[Asterisk-Users] Re: Telemarketer Torture

Andrew Thompson asteriskuser at aktzero.com
Thu Dec 18 08:59:04 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Boehnlein" <damin at nacs.net>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 10:01 AM
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-Users] Re: Telemarketer Torture

> On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Cees de Groot wrote:
>
> > Chris Albertson  <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com> said:
> > >My brother has the BEST solution for sales people.  He makes
> > >an appointment with them to come out and gives an address across the
> > >street.  It really wastes a real estate salesman or house painter's
> > >time to drive out to a dead end.  Keeps em off the phone too.
> > >
> > I once got Reader's Digest direct mail department off my back by sending
> > them a formal offer to check their mail service - every received mail
> > piece would be reported by me (including a 'quality report' - folded,
> > cracked, ...) and I would invoice only some 50 dollars per mail piece
> > for that. Sending mail would constitute acceptance of the offer - never
> > got a single piece of mail from them again (a pity, I could've been
> > rich ;-)).
> >
> > Wonder whether one could build up a similar construction (the paper one
> > was legally quite watertight, of course) for telemarketeers...
>
> Why not re-direct them with their ANI to a 900 number that you own?
> Announce that they have reached a pay per minute service, and that the
> first 2 minutes are free of charge, but that subsequent minutes would be
> charged  at a rate of $20 / minute?

While an exceptionally devious concept, I don't think it'd work out like you
planned. Wouldn't that mean you'd have to dial out the 900 number yourself,
meaning You would be charged for the 900 call.

Instead, I'd have someone record a similar message states they will be
required to pay to complete the telephone call, but that the charges may be
waived.

Or you could just give them the "Number has Changed to" message with your
previously mentioned 900 number.

-----
Andrew Thompson http://aktzero.com/
Your eyes are weary from staring at the CRT. You feel sleepy. Notice how
restful it is to watch the cursor blink. Close your eyes. The opinions
stated above are yours. You cannot imagine why you ever felt otherwise.