[Asterisk-Users] Trunk Groups and Multiple Asterisk Machines

John Todd jtodd at loligo.com
Thu Dec 18 07:56:54 MST 2003

At 7:44 PM -0500 12/17/03, Sean Cheesman wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have no problems setting up trunk groups in general, but is there a way to
>set up a trunk group for outbound calls that includes channels on multiple
>servers?  I might have missed something somewhere, but I couldn't find any
>reading about this topic.  Thanks!
>
>Sean

You should be able to do this with TDMoE (TDM over Ethernet) which is
a little-used feature of the Zap drivers.  There are two ways of
doing this: individual trunk groups in a cascading failover
situation, which is a well-known configuration with TDMoE (see below
for howto) and then perhaps a more interesting way that creates one
huge trunk group spanning multiple hosts, which is not documented in
the howto but I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

I have not actually tried this, but in theory it should work as long
as your servers are all on the same ethernet.

See Wasim's mini How-to on http://www.convergence.com.pk/TDMoE-HOWTO
and then think about it for a while and modify it so that the group
spans multiple hosts.  Let us know how it goes; I think this might
actually be a pretty interesting experiment if it functions as
expected.

JT