[Asterisk-Users] 128 kbs satelite link

Tony Kava asterisk at pottcounty.com
Wed Dec 17 10:06:41 MST 2003

> I think I heard that satalite first hops are usually in the 400ms range.

Granted, my only hands-on experience with satellite internet access was a
couple years ago with consumer equipment (DirecPC), I found that latency was
often times as much as one second.  I believe my best latency to any host on
the internet was 800 ms.  I'm sure there are links that can perform better,
however latency will always be an issue with satellite links unless of
course you can move the satellite closer to the earth.

Based on my experience anything that would necessitate low latency will
perform poorly over a satellite link.  If there have been advances in this
form of access that have lowered latency to an acceptable level I would love
to hear about it.

--
Tony Kava
Network Administrator