[Asterisk-Users] Stupid Newbie Questions

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Dec 16 10:41:22 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 10:59, TkVoice Author wrote:
> I just learned about Asterisk yesterday.
>
> Besides all the cool PBX stuff that asterisk can do can it also do these:

This is where you should be looking at any and all documentation too.

> 1) Receive FAX's ?

Yes, very alpha at the moment judging by other peoples experiences.
Sending seems less problematic.

> 2) Control (serve) pppd dial-in connections ?

Only if it is on an ISDN B channel, no modems.

> 3) Is it possible to use voice modems as the FXO/FXS cards ?

ABSOLUTELY NOT. First the modem is only a FXO device and it does a poor
job at bidirectional voice. It is so bad that we do not support it here.
If you desire this functionality, you will spend 4 or more times the
difference in cost in of a real FXO device in the time it will take to
get a voice modem to function half way. Then you will be upset at the
results and time wasted. Save yourself the grief and us the next flame
way by not going this route.