[Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

Patrick Cantwell pat at insomnia.org
Mon Dec 15 05:23:39 MST 2003

FAX over VoIP works fine, but it is bandwidth-hungry. I have no problems
here picking up a FAX off the PSTN and routing it via VoIP to my SPA2000,
and out the second port to a box running hylafax (no different than an
analog FAX machine). As long as you use a high bitrate codec and can afford
to lose approx 80K/s it's a non-issue.  Mr. Critchfield is also onto
something when he sugguests just keeping an analog line around for the fax:
most (if not all) cities here in the states _REQUIRE_ that you keep X number
of analog lines around (it's usually a function of how many employees you
have) for emergency purposes (IE: power's out, building on fire, you need to
call 911).
Just plug the fax into one of those lines that you have to pay to keep
anyway.

-Pat