[Asterisk-Users] RH9 and h323.conf

its Consultancy itsc99 at cantv.net
Fri Dec 12 14:11:18 MST 2003

Hello everybody,

First time installer and I need the lists advice. My plan is to use
asterisk PBX with some hardware to terminate my calls coming from
several operational gnugk gatekeepers.

Do have RH9 and downloaded the latest asterisk from CVS. Compiled
according instructions and is running fine.

Could hardly find any info on h323 implementation untill the REAME in
the channels directory.

I am an experienced openh323 gatekeeper user so do have good compiled
libraries of openh323 and pwlib on my box.  Version 1.5.0 and 1.12.0 to
be exact.

Ran the make in the h323 directory and compile seems to run fine.

Than I ran the make install in the asterisk library again and this also
went without problems.

Ran asterisk but problems finding a h323.conf file. Since there is  NO
sign of a h323.conf file in the etc/asterisk directory I copied this one
manually from the channels/h323 directory.

After starting asterisk again with a unconfigured default h323.conf ini
file it seems to run ok ; the message is this :

[chan_h323.so] => (The NuFone Network's Open H.323 Channel Driver)
  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/h323.conf': Found
  == Creating H.323 Endpoint
  == Registered channel type 'H323' (The NuFone Network's Open H.323
Channel Driver)
  == H.323 listener started
  == Parsing '/etc/asterisk/enum.conf': Found
Asterisk Ready.

Before I go further configuring the PBX and configuring the gatekeeper
that has to route the calls to the PBX I would like to know if there is
anybody with experience on RH9 that has good results with this (h323)
configuration and if my whole way of implementing the thing was OK?
Furthermore I would like to know if there is a good h323 implementation
guide somewhere available like an extension on the Asterisk Handbook
Project that has some very usefull information but lacking h323
information. ( I read the 71 pages!)

Thanks, Tjapko.