[Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

Jorge Mendoza mendoza at tcc.com.pe
Fri Dec 12 12:34:49 MST 2003

Florian Overkamp wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Citeren Steve Kann <stevek at stevek.com>:
>

>>It would be great if the IAX protocol will be able to tranfer fax data
>>(even
>>converted in another format) between Asterisk boxes, using low bandwidth
>>codecs like GSM.
>>I know that this is possible only with the G.711 now (passing faxes
>>using
>>the audio stream), but.... maybe in the future...some native support
>>will
>>permit this.
>>

>This would mean implementing some basic store and forward routines, which
>would be great for fax relaying over slow/unreliable links. Ofcourse this can
>be taken out of asterisk and routed via e-mail for instance. A simple procmail
>rule on the receiving end could enable sending it off to the local
>faxmachine...

Yes, I think that it can be done with two Hylafax boxes. At the far end
one Hylafax box receive the fax, send the image file by e-mail  to the
local Hylafax box which in turn send the image file to the fax machine
number indicated in the e-mail address body. The local Hylafax works
with sendmail with a patch already done for Hylafax.

Jorge