[Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

Alastair Maw asterisk at almaw.com
Fri Dec 12 07:58:00 MST 2003

On 12/12/03 13:56, Dan wrote:
> This is because the fax is transmitted using the audio stream.
> It is not related to the signaling protocol (SIP/IAX etc.) but to the audio
> codec used.

Fax uses FSK modulation to transmit the data. If you compress this in a
lossy way (GSM, MP3, whatever) then the integrity of the data is
affected (more or less seriously depending on the codec used). Fax
machines are generally quite picky, so compressing faxes is unlikely to
work.

I'm wondering why on earth you want to push fax data over a VoIP link at
all. Fax compression isn't very efficient. It would be much less
bandwidth intensive to decode the fax and send it over as proper data
rather than audio, compressed using gzip/gif/png/something else.

Alastair