[Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

Steve Kann stevek at stevek.com
Fri Dec 12 07:39:42 MST 2003

Hi,

It would be great if the IAX protocol will be able to tranfer fax data
(even
converted in another format) between Asterisk boxes, using low bandwidth
codecs like GSM.
I know that this is possible only with the G.711 now (passing faxes
using
the audio stream), but.... maybe in the future...some native support
will
permit this.

I suppose that with SteveU's fax receive stuff, it should be possible
to convert the fax to an image, and then send the images along in IAX
image frame types..

I.e.  AST_FRAME_IMAGE/AST_FORMAT_PNG.

You'd need to figure out how to get the call to filter through the fax
stuff, such that the multiple audio frames on one side ended up as a
set of Image frames on the other..

-SteveK