[Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

Dan dtoma at fx.ro
Fri Dec 12 06:56:46 MST 2003

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Senad Jordanovic" <senad at boltblue.com>
To: <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com>
Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 3:42 PM
Subject: RE: [Asterisk-Users] FAX, IAX and *....Maybe I'm dreaming...:-)

> Dan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It would be great if the IAX protocol will be able to tranfer fax
> > data (even converted in another format) between Asterisk boxes, using
> > low bandwidth codecs like GSM. I know that this is possible only with
> > the G.711 now (passing faxes using the audio stream), but.... maybe
> > in the future...some native support will permit this.
> >
> > Just a thought,
> > Dan

> My understanding is that fax calls are ONLY possible with G711/SIP not
> IAX.
> Anyone?

This is because the fax is transmitted using the audio stream.
It is not related to the signaling protocol (SIP/IAX etc.) but to the audio
codec used.
..but.... if we can pack the fax data in a different type of stream then....
maybe... we can use GSM too...
I talk about IAX, because this is the main one used by Asterisk.
G.711 cannot be used for slow links, but this does not mean that the fax
data (a couple of KB) cannot be passed reliable between 2 * servers using
low bandwidth codecs or, why not, even another protocol...

BR,
Dan