[Asterisk-Users] Re: * with RADIUS

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Dec 11 10:00:00 MST 2003

(dammit, sent to jeremy directly last time, sorry)

> >For the exact same reasons RADIUS exists in the first place?
> RADIUS was created to authenticate Dialup users

a common authentication and accounting system for dialup users, yes.  It's
grown into a common auth/acct system for user-based systems now.

> >  Consistency?
> You think Vendor Specific Attributes are consistent?

it's no different than DHCP's vendor-specific shit...  it's a way to
arbitrarily expand the use of the system without breaking the protocol
entirely.  It's say this is a moot point.

> >The ability to change authentication backends without having to touch *?
> You can do this already.

With unixodbc, true.  But you're still not able to tie in neatly with any
existing AAA systems.

> >Passing off authentication to a third party?
> You can do this already.

How is this done cleanly?

> >I wonder if Brian is going to make a unixodbc_radius...  :-)
> I'll let Brian squeak up for himself on this issue, but I'm sure you
> won't like his response.

That's fine, that's the beauty of open source.  :-)

Regards,
Andrew