[Asterisk-Users] Very small office install

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Dec 11 08:02:29 MST 2003

Hi!

> 1. I plan to buy some el cheapo (relatively, since VoIP phones are
> still quite expensive here) "Planet" VoIP phones for internal
> extension: http://www.planet.com.tw/product/product_dm.php?
> product_id=192&menu_id=3
> Anybody have experience with those and *?

Interesting, I've never seen this one. Can you attach a price to this
device?

Anyway, why do you want a phone with both IP and PSTN connectivity?
Afraid of your own courage? And why would you want to have a second, free
PSTN jack apart from the one for your fax? :-) Personally I'd ride the
hype and go for a hardware SIP phone (e.g. SNOM 105), not a H323 phone.

> 3. Best ISDN card (EuroISDN) that could pass CallerID to the VoIP
> phones and works with * (Dialplan based on ISDN MSN)? Those Fritz
> cards that are referenced on http://www.junghanns.net/asterisk/?

The passive Fritz! works fine with caller ID etc. Some people here on the
list state that they'd recommend active cards for production systems, but
I think for SOHO you'll be fine with the cheap passive one. Just make
sure you use CAPI (chan_capi) instead of isdn4linux (i4l).

Cheers, Philipp