[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

James Schenck asterisk at egraphdesign.com
Thu Dec 11 05:52:59 MST 2003

I new to * but getting a grip on it (I hope)
On computer hardware that's a far different story I have been in the
computer business since 1984 I have built, sold and serviced a lot of PC's
in that time and think I am qualified to give hardware advice.

I have built three * boxes

1.
PIII 1000
512MB ram
40GB
RH-9 minimum install plus what is required

2.
AMD K6 2 550
256MB
20GB
RH-9 minimum install plus what is required

3.
PII 233
256MB
20GB
Trustix minimum install plus what is required

They all work well in my home office box 3 is about 35 miles away in another
office so I can call there for free (could not get mgcp gateways to work
thru double Nat)
I am sure as the load increases you would have to up the hardware like any
other server but from what I can see so far in a test environment if it will
install in will work

About two years ago I built a web server trustix, apache P 233 256 MB 20GB
it handled over 1,000,000 hits a day for over a week and is still running

General hardware advice
Stay away from AMD (I know this will piss off a few people)
The AMD processors are ok but who makes a good mother board?
Every new system I sell I warranty for one year onsite so it has to work
well or I loose money
I have found the following to be most reliable

Intel processors
Intel mother boards
IBM now Hitachi

If you want to save a few bucks go and get yourself an AMD it may work fine
but you may have weird problems I just can't afford to shot the dice on
systems I sell and support

On Linux
I prefer Trustix because it cuts the fluff plus it has swup which keeps your
system updated I am not sure at this point how it works with * hardware I
will let you know by the first part of next week
I don't install X on anything if you can't use the command line learn or
stay with Windows
I don't use monitors keyboards or mice either servers don't need these
things
Get yourself
secure CRT http://www.vandyke.com/products/securecrt/
and