[Asterisk-Users] Re: Computing horsepower needed

Cees de Groot cg at tric.nl
Thu Dec 11 01:29:06 MST 2003

Rich Adamson  <asterisk-users at lists.digium.com> said:
>[2.2ghz Celeron]
>In an idle condition (no calls being processed), "top" is the heaviest
>app. Placing a single asterisk demo call from a sip phone (forcing iax2
>to Digium) causes asterisk to bump towards the top at about 0.3% cpu
>utilization with an occasional random peak at 2% cpu. (A single pstn
>call via x100p to a 7960 averages about 1.0% cpu. Both of these are
>eyeball inspection of top.)

I just tested on our production system - ISDN passive card with CAPI on
a PII/400. A call from ISDN (alaw) to a GS (G.729a) used on average 5%
system, 2% user time with peaks to 25% system, 10% user. So even this
comparatively weak system should be able to handle up to four calls (all
probably depending on codec conversion), more when I finally get that
active ISDN card that's been on backorder for weeks now...

(instead of a bigger phone system, just install an IRC server - works
wonders for us ;-))

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,