[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Thu Dec 11 00:38:00 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 19:44, Rich Adamson wrote:
> > > In a test system I can take out half the RAM, slow the CPU clock
> > > or run the CPU without  the cooling fan and just measure what
> > > happens.  Yes, stupid do do those things in a system people
> > > are depending on.
> >
> > Agreed 100%.  If you want to conduct experiments you do so by conducting
> > them, not asking what the minimums are.
> >
> > I dunno, I am kind of in the same boat as Steven on this...  if you're gonna
> > experiment then experiment.  Don't decide to get into * and the first thing
> > out of your mouth is what's the bare minimum processor+ram you can get to
> > make it work...  buy something moderately new (P3, 128M, IDE disk) -- it
> > ain't gonna break the bank, it's gonna be easier to find and likely be far
> > more reliable than that P90 you have in the back room that's been gathering
> > dust for the past 5 years.
>
> But... if you place yourself in the position of the newbie, where else could
> you ask given the "documentation" that truly doesn't exist (yet).
>
> Mark made the comment about a month ago that "asterisk is this best kept
> secret" in the world. The flip side of that is jumping on every newbie
> that comes along and pissing them off enough to leave the list (and the
> app). For those that have been around here for more then 30 days, you
> already know that's the nature of this list. If you don't like the questions,
> delete it and stop cluttering the list.

If you look over the list again, you will see that questions that get
ignored tend to get the entire list flamed for not being helpful.

No one here tries to run people off but you will rarely see a message
where we treat any one with kid gloves. If a person requires this kind
of treatment, they will have to pay a vendor to deal with their system
and their personality problems.

As for the documentation complaint, just because there isn't a book
called "asterisk for dummies" yet doesn't mean there isn't
documentation. The current documentation requires work on the part of
the newbie to get at. The wiki is fleshing out nicely. The old handbooks
still exist. There is over 2 years of mailing list traffic to document
the system.

Learning takes time and effort. Asking questions here short circuits the
time and effort. We answer these questions to help out, but sometimes
our answers are meant to eliminate dead ends. Maybe they are not as nice
as you or others would like, but later when you have the knowledge to
share you can decide how to dole it out. Extremely few of us have
received our knowledge from source that aren't otherwise available to
all. So you as well as everyone else here have a great chance of
becoming a peer or better yet surpassing some of us.