[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 15:44:29 MST 2003

--- Steven Critchfield <critch at basesys.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 12:47, Trench Shoring wrote:
> > I have been reading asterisks and everything I can get my hands on
> for the
> > past week. I want to know what class processor is the bare minimum
> I need
> > for a four port Asterisk installation?
>
> This type of question comes up quite often. I don't know whether it
> is
> the frequency that annoys me or the seemingly implied "I don't want
> use a modern machine, will this POS that I was about to throw in the
> dump going to make this work".

Steve,

There is a _good_ reason to ask too.  I've been experimenting
I buy new
equipment but I'm still looking to reduce power, heat, noise and
space to the bare minimum.  No need to buy a CPU that burns
120W of power if you can use a one that uses 45W and
lets you get rid of one of the fans.  Same with disk drives.
More RAM might let you use a low noise/low heat drive rather then
that 7200RM noise maker.  I'd like to be able to install a
notebook sized drive on the * server.

For a big installation everything lives in the server room but
in a home or very small office it's on the desk or under it
where every cubic inch and decibel matters.  Plus you know what
it costs to run a PC 24x7?  We pay 25 cents/KWH.  100W of saving
adds up over a year's time.

In enginerring, "how small, how light how cheap, can I make
this thin?" are good questions to ask

=====
Chris Albertson
  Home:   310-376-1029  chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com