[Asterisk-Users] Computing horsepower needed

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 10 12:15:09 MST 2003

I've set up a test enviroment and beed trying to answer that
question.

I think if you are carfull NOT to do dumb things like
running X11 and a browser and so on on the server you can use
a pretty low power system.  Just do not plug in a CRT, mouse
or keyboard.  Use telnet or ssh.  The requirements to run
a graphic interfaceare are greater then to run a low-end asterisk
server.  Asterisk seemed to run well on am old 400Mhz Pentium
but I'm using an ADM2600+ with 128MB ram and am not taxing the
system much at all.  I think a 1Ghz Pantium would be well
more then required.

OK that said.  BIG remaining question.  I've got some echo
problems with the FXO card.  Fixing this might take a lot of
CPU power to do the required DSP.  I don't know yet.  But
it works with two calls open at about 2% of the CPU utilization.
ond the ADM 2600+
Pushing 8K sample/sec data aound is a very lightload
audo at 8K is a very low data rate.

My goal is to reduce the heat and electic power.  I may try
_under_ clocking the 2600+ and see if that makes it run cool
enough that I can remove a fan.

--- Trench Shoring <Trench-Shoring at gmx.net> wrote:

> I have been reading asterisks and everything I can get my hands on
> for the
> past week. I want to know what class processor is the bare minimum I
> need
> for a four port Asterisk installation?
>
> Thanks

=====