[Asterisk-Users] Re: FXO cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Dec 10 08:08:28 MST 2003

On Wed, 2003-12-10 at 08:18, Michael Rowley wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 10, 2003, at 01:21 AM,
> asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com wrote:
>

> >> DIalogic 4 and 12 port cards are expensive.  The 12 port prohibitively
> >> so, so I think I would be better off getting 2 of the 4 port cards.  I
> >> have found them for <900$ apiece on ebay.
> >>
> >> That compairs  as:
> >>
> >> Case 1  Channel bank
> >>
> >> Asterisk box: 500$ (provably less than this, as it is a minimal
> >> machine)
> >> T100P card: 500$
> >> Channel Bank 600$ (actually, from what I can find, provably more like
> >> 1000$ before I am done)
> >> Phones:  I am going to go with the Mitel Networks 5055, they are about
> >> 400$ apiece.
> >> Total: 1600$ for the setup (to 2000$) + 2000K for 5 phones.
> >>
> >> Case 2: FXO cards
> >>
> >> Asterisk box 500$
> >> Dialogic 4 port card 900$
> >> Phones: same as the above
> >> Total 1400$ plus phones, 2K$ for 5 phones.
> >
> > Don't forget that you will then have to purchase the DS0 licenses too.
>
> err, whats a DS0 license?

Because the drivers for the Dialogic cards are not open source, you have
to pay Digium for each phone line that will be in use. I think the cost
was $15, but I may be wrong. So for your 6 line install, you are looking
at the cost of the cards plus the cost of the license at $90 or so.

None of us are pushing you to a channel bank because we will make money
on this. We are trying to help you out. If you go the channel bank
route, replacement parts are easier to come by and expansion is much
easier. It is a lot easier to justify an expenditure that has growth
ability at essentially the same cost as an option that has less.