[Asterisk-Users] was FXO cards

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Dec 9 21:45:00 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 20:48, Michael Rowley wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> appreciate the input.  Here are some thoughts.
>
> ADSI phones are out of the question.  This is a business environment, I
> can't worry about my employees not knowing how to forward calls, answer
> calls when away from the multiline phone, and no ADSI phone will handle
> multiple lines that I have found.

Do you need multiple line appearances at each phone? Take a while to
itemize what it is you are going to accomplish with a multiple line
appearance phone. Then think about ways the same functions can be done
without them.

> I would love to put 6 X100P cards in a case and run asterisk on it.
> but...
>
> I hate the idea of running a channel bank.  It just seems unecessary,
> and more crap to break, set up, and buy.

If you have more than about 8 analog lines the telco will deploy a
channel bank in your office space and drop you a T1 to it. The point is,
telcos trust them to provide the appropriate uptime, why shouldn't you.

> DIalogic 4 and 12 port cards are expensive.  The 12 port prohibitively
> so, so I think I would be better off getting 2 of the 4 port cards.  I
> have found them for <900$ apiece on ebay.
>
> That compairs  as:
>
> Case 1  Channel bank
>
> Asterisk box: 500$ (provably less than this, as it is a minimal machine)
> T100P card: 500$
> Channel Bank 600$ (actually, from what I can find, provably more like
> 1000$ before I am done)
> Phones:  I am going to go with the Mitel Networks 5055, they are about
> 400$ apiece.
> Total: 1600$ for the setup (to 2000$) + 2000K for 5 phones.
>
> Case 2: FXO cards
>
> Asterisk box 500$
> Dialogic 4 port card 900$
> Phones: same as the above
> Total 1400$ plus phones, 2K$ for 5 phones.

Don't forget that you will then have to purchase the DS0 licenses too.