[Asterisk-Users] Port density: DS3 cards?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Mon Dec 8 18:51:05 MST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, John Todd wrote:

> >>The PM3 LIVES ON DUDE! :) I'm all about Livingson, and have refused
> >>to put the Asscend stuff in my data center. Seriously, Jake over at
> >>portmasters.com is doing some good stuff with the PM3. Now that
> >>we've got control of ComOS, it is just a matter of time before new
> >>ComOS releases start coming out for the unit. Several people have
> >>already rolled their own and added a few niggling fixes to the
> >>3.9.1c1 code branch.
> >>
> >>It would be great if we could find a way to use the PM3 as an
> >>inbound channel bank for Asterisk though. I have like 7 of them
> >>sitting in the back doing nothing..
> >>
> >I like that idea.
> >I wrote all the drivers for the PM3 and it would fairly easy to do.
> >Looking at the prices on portmasters.com, you could have a 2 t1 inbound
> >channel bank for about $350.  Add another $150 for an extra t1.
> >I think we used the same Dallas framers that Digium uses.

Uhhh.. Why wouldn't Digium want to provide a Software Only license to run
on the hardware platform so that people could pay say.. $500 per PM3 for
the software license and use them in the manner that you mention above?
Once the development is done, it is a hell of a lot higher profit margin
because the hardware is out there and Digium doesn't have any of that cost
associated with it. Right now, they have to carry all of the production
costs for their varius boards, and the software is being handled by the
Open Source community.