[Asterisk-Users] Port density: DS3 cards?

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Thu Dec 4 16:52:34 MST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 06:25:16PM -0500, William Waites wrote:

> btw, jason thorpe at nasa has benchmarked gige cards on netbsd/i386
> doing well in excess of 500Mbps so it /is/ possible.

Just another data point:

  We also made measurements in November 2000 from a Pentium III running
  Linux with a Gbit interface at SLAC, via an OC12 (622Mbps) link provided
  by the experimental NTON network from SLAC to Caltech to another Pentium
  III host. Over this link we achieved about 500Mbits/s with a single stream
  and a window size of about 800KBytes or more. The results are shown to the
  right.

  http://www-iepm.slac.stanford.edu/monitoring/bulk/caltech.html

Note that they are doing the tests with TCP which needs window size tuning
at these speeds. That wouldn't be an issue for IAX2 or TDMoE...

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email