[Asterisk-Users] Port density: DS3 cards?

William Waites asterisk at lists.styx.org
Thu Dec 4 15:46:58 MST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 02:43:40PM -0600, Eric Wieling wrote:
> I believe there are boxes that will take a DS-3 from the Telco and spit
> out T-1's to your telecom equipment.  Not sure what they are called.

you're thinking of something like the nortel access node express...
doing it this way will also spread the load over multiple asterisk
boxes which may or may not be a good thing depending on the
requirements...

fwiw, you could also take the telco circuit as a SONET OC3 which,
assuming proper engineering, would put you as part of a sonet ring
and give added redundancy. often the telcos will run an OC3 to
the basement anyways and just peel off a DS3 for you... depending
on the facilities...

to add to john's question, what about the possibility of ATM or
TDM OC3 cards for asterisk? at that point you could probably
*build* an access-node-alike out of asterisk...

-w

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email